Friday, November 6, 2009

A stitch in time ...

Last evening, rather than heading for the sewing table, I curled up in my chair with the quilt over my legs and crocheted a few rows on my 'special project' afghan. Mom taught her girls many talents; one of which was crochet. Earlier this year my sister, Margaret, was approached by an elderly lady from our home town who knew Mom and was wondering if any of the Seier girls would be willing to help her out by crocheting an afghan for her granddaughter. Ms. Roth shared that she had made a crocheted afghan for each of her grandchildren but due to health issues could not do so for her granddaughter. [At this point, we thought she was talking baby afghan. :0)] Margaret assured her she would ask. First, Vickie offered to take on the project but later declined when she found out there was a specific pattern that had to be used. [Vickie doesn't read patterns.]

So, I offered and asked Margaret to get the yarn/pattern from Ms. Roth. This is when we discovered we were working on a full-sized afghan in the Ripple Stitch pattern. In comes the yarn --- black, neon green and hot pink. I told Margaret I would have to work on this one with sunglasses on.

The deadline to complete is early April 2010. My goal is to have it to Ms. Roth by Thanksgiving or the latest, Christmas. I am happy to share that the colors - while shocking when the skeins are in the basket by my chair, are playing nicely in the afghan. I have approximately 18 inches crocheted.

My cat has a great time chasing the yarn or attacking the hook while I am trying to work on the afghan. I'll post a picture when the aghan is longer and you can see the project at its best.

1 comment: